1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Your chance to get questions answered
My cousin and I have been having an argument for a while now. He claims that at the very end of 'Penny Lane' there is the sound of a toilet flushing. I can't hear it myself. He says it's part of the glistening crescendo at the very end of the song. So tell us: is he crazy or am I?
Mark J Pierce, North Dallas, Texas, USA
Oh really? Well, before anyone has a chance to mutter "So that's why, on the charts, 'Penny Lane' only made number twos", we'd like to say that Mark is right and his cousin isn't. Agreed, the Beatles employed many curious sounds on their recordings but toilet flushing just wasn't one of them! Now wash your hands.
I'm making a big scrapbook about Paul so I hope you can answer these questions:
• Will the 1973 TV special James Paul McCartney be released on video?
• When will Wings Over America be issued on video?
• Is there a book of all Paul's song lyrics, like there is for the Beatles’?
• Can I still purchase the albums Tripping The Live Fantastic and Unplugged: The Official Bootleg, and the video of Give My Regards To Broad Street?
Sylvain W Villeneuve, Hawkesbury, Ontario, Canada
Good questions, Sylvain. There are no plans at present to issue James Paul McCartney on video. Wings Over America was the title of an album, not a film. The film of the 1976 US tour was Rockshow, which has been available on video for more than a decade now. There is (sadly) no one book comprising all of Paul's song lyrics. Tripping The Live Fantastic is certainly still on catalogue around the world and can be bought or ordered in any record store; Broad Street is available on video in many countries; Unplugged was only a limited-edition release, so it can no longer be ordered. If you can't find a copy in regular stores you may have to try a collectors' outlet.
I recently came across an album called The Masked Marauders, released in the summer of 1969. No credits are given to the composers or musicians but an article in Rolling Stone says it was a secret project featuring Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, George Harrison and Bob Dylan. Do you have any more information about this album and why it was kept so secret?
Geoff Evans, Santa Rosa, California, USA
Sorry, Geoff, but you've been taken in by the classic spoof album of the Sixties, for The Masked Marauders is unique in only one respect: it was the first album to be recorded after it had been reviewed! That Rolling Stone piece was a work of pure fiction, but it prompted an unnamed band (completely sans superstars) to go into the studio and make the album themselves, which they hoped to sell to unsuspecting punters in the US. "Only once in a lifetime does an album like this appear," read the sleevenote, "only once in a millenium does it become possible at all." It also explained the background to the songs -the memorably titled 'I Can't Get No Nookie', for example, "was recorded at 4.00 in the morning after an all-night party on the tundra with the local eskimos". Need we say more?
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION THAT YOU'D LIKE ANSWERED SEND IT ALONG TO CLUB SANDWICH, PO BOX 110, WESTCLIFF, ESSEX, SSO 8NW, ENGLAND, MARKING YOUR POSTCARD OR ENVELOPE 'WRITE AWAY' IN THE TOP-LEFT CORNER. WE CANNOT RESPOND OUTSIDE OF THIS COLUMN.
1. Song made famous by jazz-pianist. Fats Waller (11, 4)
9. Colour of The McCartney Rose (7, 4)
10. Ruckus (5)
11. Doctor______, adversary of James Bond (2)
12. Jerry_____, tenor in the Liverpool Oratorio (6)
14. New York's theatre thoroughfare (8)
16. Tomorrow, in Spanish (6)
17. Percussion instruments (7)
18. ____ Pan Alley (3)
20. Exclamation of triumph, surprise, etc (2)
21. Stinging insect (6)
24. Linda's and Wix's instruments on stage (9)
27. Big cat or a dynamic person (5)
28. Soprano voice (6)
29. The bands of a gramophone record (6)
1. Set of wives and concubines (5)
2. _________ Bonaparte (8)
3."_________, all my troubles seemed so far away" (9)
4. _________ Pacific Railway (5)
5. Benevolent (4)
6. _________ Doolittle in My Fair Lady
7. Tree (3)
8. Buddy Holly hit (8)
12. ________ Stuart (6)
13. 'She's _____ Home' (7)
14. The name of Linda's Appaloosa (7)
15. Francis _______ Sinatra (6)
17. Taxi (3)
18. Swindle, dupe (5)
19. Lack (4)
20. Sales gimmick or pubicity stunt (4)
22. Old Testament, in short (2)
23. One pace of 14 down? (4)
25. Night-bird (3)
26. Word of respect in addressing a man (3)
ANSWERS TO PSEUDONYMS CROSSWORD IN CS 63
Paul is presented to Her Royal Highness, The Princess of Wales, at a performance of the Liverpool Oratorio in Lille, Northern France. The Princess was on an official visit to the Lille Cultural Festival in November
'Hope Of Deliverance', brand new Paul McCartney single, released around the world
Rehearsals for World Tour
Linda's Exhibition Of The Sixties opens at Hamiltons Gallery, London (26th)
Off The Ground, brand new Paul McCartney album, released around the world
Rehearsals for World Tour
The Paul McCartney New World Tour expected to get underway!
Swedish premiere of Liverpool Oratorio in Stockholm (12th)
...and your Spring Club Sandwich